If you have a beard and are thinking of dipping your chin into the world of men’s skincare, beard butter is a worthwhile addition to your daily grooming routine that’ll keep your beard looking shiny and moisturized.
So, what makes a good beard butter? Just think of it as a mix between a lotion and a deep conditioner. These buttery blends won’t just keep the hair healthy, but will also make it easier to groom and style.
Besides these nourishing properties, you’ll also want a product that offers strong hydration to prevent breakage, and perhaps natural oils and fragrances that will offer a touch of indulgence.
Are you ready to find the right beard butter for you? Here’s a guide about everything there is to know about this must-have grooming product, as well as a shortlist of the best beard butters you can buy right now… happy grooming!
So, What Exactly is Beard Butter?
Beard butter is essentially a moisturizer that you can apply to your facial hair, except the texture has more of a ‘whipped’ feel that works to soften the beard and nourish the skin underneath.
As far as the formula goes, beard butter varies from product to product, however, they are usually made up of ingredients that are known for their nourishing, comforting and hydrating properties. The most common ingredients you’ll find mixed into these soothing blends are shea, coconut, or cocoa butter, as well as additional ingredients like essential oils and beeswax.
Due to the ‘buttery’ texture (hence the name), you’ll find that beard butter will be a lot thicker and more comforting than a beard oil, and a lot quicker to apply as opposed to a balm, which often needs to be warmed up between your palms. So, not only is it a real treat to apply, but it’s also fuss-free and quick. Perfect for those busy mornings when you don’t have time to spare!
What’s the Difference Between Beard Butter and Beard Oil?
Well, beard oils help to moisturize the beard and prevent any unwanted itching and scratching. They usually contain a combination of essential oils that deliver a targeted dose of hydration, as well as enveloping your senses with an uplifting scent.
Beard oil is excellent for maintaining a healthy, moisturized, and lustrous beard. It also helps to eliminate itchiness and dryness, not to mention any unwanted dandruff.
A beard butter works in a similar way, except the main difference here, is the texture. Most commonly, a beard butter will contain a buttery base of either shea, coconut, or cocoa, which are all known for their superb hydrating properties. It is able to deeply hydrate and replenish facial hair as well as being able to penetrate the skin underneath and strengthen the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
What’s the Difference Between Beard Butter and Beard Balm?
These two products are pretty similar. However, when comparing a beard balm to beard butter, you’ll notice that the consistency of the balm is nowhere near as whipped and fluffy. Rather, the balm will have a slightly hardened texture in order to be able to help style the beard.
When rubbed between the palms of your hands and heated up, the product will emulsify. The result is a thick oil that once applied, provides a much better hold than that of beard butter. Beard balm is also made of a blend of shea butter for a touch of light hydration, although it is not as nourishing as a butter.
Why Should I Use Beard Butter?
There are plenty of benefits that come along with incorporating a beard butter into your grooming routine. For starters, it’s cocooning texture will help deliver a blend of soothing and nourishing ingredients to your beard and the skin underneath, preventing any dryness or flaking from occurring and helping to keep your beard feeling soft and healthy.
Coconut, shea and cocoa butter are known for being naturally rich in vitamins, lipids and essential fatty acids that help to keep the skin plumped of collagen and the hair strong, healthy and free from breakage. It’s a must-have for any man concerned with maintaining his facial hair.
Like This Article? Pin it on Pinterest
When Should I Use It?
Beard butter should be applied at least once daily and, though it can be used on its own, we recommend using it in conjunction with other grooming products and creating your own step by step beard care routine.
Why not pair beard butter with beard oil? The butter will work to lock in all of the hydrating properties of the oil, all the while giving your beard a dose of deep conditioning comfort, keeping it styled to perfection and smelling great thanks to the aromatic essentials oils.
How Do I Apply Beard Butter?
Using beard butter really isn’t hard once you know what to do. Follow these steps and you’ll learn how to use beard butter like a pro in no time:
- Scoop a pea-sized amount of butter out of the jar.
- Rub between your palms and then begin running it through your beard and face, focusing on massaging the formula deep into your hair follicles and skin.
- After doing so, grab a beard comb and gently spread the beard butter throughout your beard so that it is evenly distributed from the tips to the roots.
- Wash any remaining residue off of your hands (some people even like to massage the excess into their hands to keep them soft and supple).
Which Beard Butter Should I Use?
So, if you’ve decided that you’d like to add a beard butter to your skincare shelf, but you’re a little unsure on which might be right for you, here are a few of our favorites:
OUR TOP PICK
OUR TOP PICK
Sometimes less is more, and the Fresh Beards Classic Beard Butter certainly demonstrates this.
Free from any fragrances, this beard butter is enriched beard-loving ingredients and has been carefully formulated to feel more natural than other types of beard butters on the market.
It is made up of entirely natural ingredients including a base of shea butter to leave your skin comforted, while a combination of coconut, jojoba, avocado, almond and grapeseed oil will work to deliver a healthy dose of hydration without leaving behind any fragrance.
Upon use, this beard butter will work to soften, deliver shine, and reduce any dandruff and itchiness without an oily residue.
- Does not leave behind a greasy feel
- Thicker beards may find this butter to not be nourishing enough
The Beard Butter with Grotein has been carefully formulated to help promote thicker and fuller beards, use after use.
It contains a refreshing fragrance that will invigorate your senses and leave you feeling ready for the day.
And, it includes a nourishing blend of essentials oils, as well as both cocoa and mango butters that are known for their super-hydrating properties.
Plus, it boasts a non-greasy texture and absorbs quickly, so you’ll be good to go as soon as you’ve applied.
Use after use, your beard will appear healthier, thicker, and shinier.
- The cocoa and mango butters are filled to the brim with vitamins, lipids, and fatty acids that will not only replenish your hair but your skin, too!
- Quick and easy to use
- Non-greasy texture
- Contains a strong scent which some may not like
If you have a coarse beard in need of a little extra TLC, this powerful butter is able to combat split ends, reduce irritation, and prevents beard dandruff, flaky skin, and itchiness for a healthy, shiny beard you can be proud of.
Its innovative formula is rich with natural ingredients that won’t irritate your skin or harm your hair in the long run.
Eucalyptus essential oil helps to stimulate hair follicles and reduce inflammation, peppermint essential oil is packed full of nutrients and minerals that provides a cooling effect to both your hair and skin, while tea tree essential oil is able to target dandruff and prevent it from forming, all the way unclogging your pores to help stimulate hair growth and a healthier complexion.
- Contains a refreshing, mint fragrance that will leave you feeling fresh and revived
- Has a better hold than most butters
- Contains beeswax, which is not suitable for vegans
If you struggling with itchy facial hair, we think that you (and your beard) will love this butter from Maestro.
Unlike other butters we’ve talked about so far, the Classic Mark of a Man Beard Butter is water-soluble in order to deliver a thirst-quenching dose of hydration to your face and beard, as well as containing a duo of grapefruit and black pepper to leave you feeling fresh and revitalized.
Immediately after applying, you will be able to enjoy an instantly soothed beard free from any itchiness and, with regular use, a stronger and thicker beard will be achieved.
- Its water-based texture feels light on the skin and won’t leave your beard greasy
- A subtle and relaxing bergamot scent
- Not only does it get rid of existing dandruff, but it helps to prevent more from forming
This beard butter has the spiced scent of citrus, clove, and vanilla for a truly luxurious experience that won’t weigh your beard down or leave it feeling oily.
What we like about this all-natural butter is that it contains a light to medium hold, serving as the ideal final touch in your grooming routine because not only will it lock in moisture, but it will also tame any flyaways and keep your beard styled neatly!
- Nourishing and leaves your hair feeling soft and looking shiny
- Is able to tame hairs and keep them in place
- As it offers a medium hold, the texture is not as soft and comforting as a regular butter
Can I Make My Own Beard Butter?
Yes, you certainly can. If you feel like trying your hand at creating your very own, individual beard butter, you’ll be pleased to hear that the process is pretty easy and not overly expensive. Follow the steps below to give it a go:
- 2 tsp of your chosen butter (such as coconut or cocoa)
- 1 tsp of your chosen wax
- 10 tsp of oil (we recommend using coconut oil as it’s so nourishing)
- A few drops of essential oil - the choice is yours! We think peppermint oil is super refreshing
- A container to store it in
- Grab a bowl that is safe to be heated up.
- Place some water in a saucepan and heat it up. Then, carefully place the bowl over it, being mindful that the heat-safe bowl does not touch the water.
- Add wax into the bowl and allow it to melt.
- After the wax has melted, add your oil of choice and begin stirring it into the oil that you have chosen.
- When they’ve been combined together and have formed a liquid texture, go ahead and add the butter and essential oils and keep stirring it around until all of the ingredients are mixed together evenly.
- When this mixture is formed, take the bowl off the heat and place it on a counter to cool.
- Pour the mixture into your container.
- Leave for a few hours to cool and solidify, and then it will be ready to use.