Beards are one of the most on-trend male grooming features of the modern age, and now more than ever men all over the world are sporting a variety of styles of carefully manicured and trimmed facial hair.
However, the days of letting it grow and grow without any kind of maintenance are gone and keeping your beard looking healthy, shiny and strong should be a really important part of any man’s skincare regime.
This is where beard oils come into play, and the best of these will contain a mixture of natural essential oils that are designed to keep both your beard hair and the underlying skin in good condition.
By using a beard oil formulated with essential oils you’ll also be removing any risk of irritating your skin or drying out your beard with more abrasive, harmful man made chemicals. There’s no doubt about it, essential oils are the best!
But, with so many beard oils available how can you be certain that the one you’re thinking of purchasing contains essential oils? And how do you know that the essential oils contained in the one you’re considering will be the best for you?
Worry not - we’ve compiled a list of some of the best essential oils for beards below, along with a useful buying that’s got all the things you need to remember to think about before you settle on your final decision.
So, keep reading and pretty soon you’ll have a fantastic product that is packed with the vitamins and minerals provided by essential oils, and a beard that will make your friends green with envy!
Top 5 Best Essential Oils for Beards
OUR TOP PICK
Formulated using a total of 7 essential oils, all of which have been specifically selected to provide a different aspect of beard and skin care, this Classic Beard Oil from Honest Amish is a fantastic choice for anybody looking for a product that will soften their beard whilst simultaneously hydrating and conditioning skin.
Amongst these oils is virgin argan oil, which is one of the best essential oils you can find for beard care. Not only is it rich in Vitamin E, which helps to nourish hair and skin, but what makes argan oil so amazing is the fact that it coats the hair shaft and helps to protect against pollution and environmental damage such as UVA.
Another amazing ingredient used in this product is jojoba oil. What this does is actually help to promote hair growth by clearing the skin of sebum whilst simultaneously reducing breakages, leading to a stronger, healthy and fuller looking beard.
It has a really refreshing scent that doesn’t carry any floral notes and has a distinctly classic masculine fragrance to it. On top of that, it’s super easy to apply thanks to the glass pipette which you can use to drop the oil directly onto your beard, and you don’t need to use a lot of it for a good amount of coverage so you get excellent value for money.
- Made using only natural ingredients and is formulated using a total of 7 essential oils
- Works to soften beard hair as well as nourish and condition the underlying skin
- Contains virgin argan oil which is rich in Vitamin E and protects beard hair from pollution and environment damage
- Also contains jojoba oil to clear skin of sebum, stimulate hair growth and reduce breakages for a stronger looking beard
- Is super easy to apply and has a classic masculine fragrance
- Some customers that previously purchased this beard oil noted that although the scent is nice, it is quite strong and will stay with you all day
If you’re looking for a fantastic beard oil but don’t want to be tied down to just one scent then this Beard Oil Variety Pack from Viking Revolution could be exactly what you need, offering you three different fragrances whilst ensuring your beard and skin and kept in great condition.
The different scents are clary sage, cedar pine and sandalwood, each of which is traditionally associated with male skincare and has a refreshing fragrance without being too overpowering.
Each beard oil has been formulated using organic argan oil to nourish both your skin and beard hair with Vitamin E whilst helping to keep it protected from any environmental damage.
Organic jojoba oil also features in this beard oil’s ingredients and will work to keep your beard looking full and healthy by reducing breakages and stimulating hair growth.
These two essential oils, along with a mixture of other all natural ingredients, help to fight against any of that annoying itchiness that comes with beard growth, and it’s also super easy to apply with it’s built-in dropper, which also ensures that you can’t accidentally use too much of it at once.
- A choice of three classic fragrances - clary sage, cedar pine and sandalwood
- Gives you the opportunity to switch between scents throughout the week
- Uses organic argan oil to feed both your skin and your beard with Vitamin E and protect it from UVA, pollution and other environmental damage
- Also uses organic jojoba oil to reduce breakages and stimulate hair growth from the root
- Helps to soothe skin, reduce itchiness and tame your beard as it grows
- Some customers found that the fragrances had a tendency to ‘settle’ when not used for a while, however a quick shake of the bottle before applying the oil reactivated the scents
Another fantastic option if you’d like to be able to switch between fragrances throughout the week, this Beard Oil set from ISNER MILE gives you the choice between sandalwood, cedarwood, sweet orange and sage, allowing you to find the best one to suit your mood that day.
It’s not only the array of scent choice that makes this a great choice, and each oil has been formulated and infused with essential oils that will help to sooth, hydrate and feed your beard and your skin with everything it needs to grow healthily.
Like many other beard oils, it features jojoba oil to reduce breakages and stimulate hair growth. However one stand out ingredient it uses is tea tree leaf oil, which is fantastic for soothing the skin underneath your beard and is particularly good at calming down any potential razor burn that can occur from tidying up your edges.
The texture of this oil is also really lightweight and absorbs into the skin and beard hair easily, so you won’t have to worry about the possibility of walking around with a greasy, heavy-feeling beard all day.
This is mainly due to the fact that this beard oil also uses sweet almond oil in it’s ingredients, which is also really good for eliminating beard dandruff.
- A 4 pack of beard oils that allows you to choose between the fragrances of sage, sandalwood, cedarwood and sweet orange
- Uses a blend of essential oils and all natural ingredients to hydrate and condition your beard and the underlying skin
- Features jojoba oil to reduce breakages and stimulate hair growth, and tea tree leaf oil to soothe any irritation from razor burn
- Also features sweet almond oil that helps to eliminate and prevent any beard dandruff from occurring
- Is really lightweight and absorbs easily into you skin and beard without leaving it feeling heavy or greasy
- Although the scents are really nice, they are quite subtle so you may find that it doesn’t stay with you for the whole day
This Beard Oil from Smooth Viking Beard Care is packed full of essential oils and vitamins that will help you grow and maintain a strong, healthy looking beard as well as feeding and hydrating the underlying skin.
One of the most effective ingredients used in this beard oil is avocado oil which contains Vitamins A, D & E. When applied to beard care these vitamins helps to treat dry skin, which in turn eliminates the dreaded beard dandruff, and also plumps up collagen production to give your beard a fuller appearance.
This beard oil also uses pumpkin seed oil to enhance natural hair growth, so it’s a fantastic choice for anybody just starting out on growing their epic beard as it will help you get there a bit faster whilst ensuring the hair grows healthily.
The addition of castor oil further enhances this hair stimulation, and also promotes circulation in the skin, so you can be certain that your beard is strong right down to the root!
It’s really lightweight and absorbs into your beard and skin really easily without leaving a greasy feeling behind it, and you also only need three drops to cover your entire beard right from root to tip. This, paired with the precise measure pipette, means that you’ll be getting a beard oil that is excellent value for money.
- Packed full of all natural ingredients and essential oils that will feed and condition your beard and skin
- Features avocado oil that contains Vitamins A, D & E and will help to treat dryness, eradicate beard dandruff and promote collagen production for a fuller looking beard
- Also features pumpkin seed oil and castor oil to improve circulation, stimulate growth and strengthen beard hair right down to the root
- Is lightweight and absorbs easily into hair and skin without leaving any heavy or greasy feeling behind
- Just three drops of oil treats a full beard, providing you with excellent value for money
- Has a fairly neutral scent, so isn’t the best choice if you’re looking for a product that will leave a strong fragrance behind.
100% free from any man made ingredients or harmful chemicals, this Medieval Beard Oil from Captain Thug is another fantastic choice for treating your beard and is filled with essential oils for an all-natural product.
Amongst it’s combination of nine essential oils you’ll find golden jojoba oil which is renowned for it’s hair growth stimulation properties as well as it’s ability to reduce breakages and leave beards looking full and healthy, and argan oil for protecting your beard against pollution and environmental damage whilst feeding it with Vitamin E.
Other essential oils used in this beard oil’s formulation are cold pressed aloe vera extract, which is amazing at soothing and calming irritated skin, making it perfect for reducing any irritation or flare ups that can come from tidying up beard edges with a razor.
It also features lavender oil which doesn’t only have a really lovely fragrance, but is also good at treating acne and psoriasis, so is a good choice if you suffer with bad skin underneath your beard.
Easy to apply with the included dropper, you only need to use between 3 and 5 drops of this beard oil for complete coverage giving you excellent value for money.
- Formulated using all-natural ingredients and contains nine essential oils
- Golden jojoba oil works to stimulate hair growth and reduce breakages, and argan oil feeds your beard and skin with Vitamin E whilst reducing environmental damage
- Also contains cold pressed aloe vera extract that helps to calm and soothe irritated skin
- Uses lavender essential oil for treating any acne or psoriasis on the underlying skin and for creating a vibrant fragrance
- Easy to apply and you only need 3-5 drops of beard oil for complete coverage
- The lavender essential oil features in this beard oil does make the fragrance quite strong, and it is also quite floral so not ideal if you’re looking for a more classically masculine scent
Best Essential Oils for Beards Buying Guide
When it comes to beard care, you need to make sure that both your beard and the underlying skin is kept healthy in order to get that epic, strong beard that you’re aiming for.
This is why it’s best to find yourself a beard oil that uses a mixture of essential oils in it’s formulation, each of which will play a very important role in maintaining beard and skin health without causing any irritation that can come from man made chemicals and ingredients.
However, before you dive straight in and purchase the first beard oil you find, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. We’ve outlined the most important ones below to help you make sure you’re getting the right mix of essential oils for your own personal needs. In addition, these are intended to help you get the best beard oil for your money. Next, let's have a look.
1. Hair & Skin
When you’re shopping for a beard oil it’s an easy mistake to forget that you need to think about the underlying facial skin as well as the beard hair itself. With that in mind, take some time to look at what essential oils it contains that will help to condition both.
One of the main reasons for needing to keep the skin underneath your beard in good condition is because it can very easily become clogged with sweat and impurities that can’t escape through the thickness of your beard, and this can soon lead to acne.
You also need to keep your skin hydrated underneath your beard, and forgetting to do this can lead to dry patches that will flake away from your skin and result in beard dandruff, which isn’t only unsightly but can also be very difficult to get rid of.
Luckily there are many essential oils available that will help you combat and prevent any of these issues, and we’ll go into some depth about these now.
The combination of essential oils in your chosen beard oil will each play a very specific and important role in helping you maintain a strong, healthy looking beard as well as making sure that the skin underneath your beard is well hydrated and conditioned.
There are a lot of different essential oils and all of them are absolutely fantastic at what they do, but getting the right ones for your individual needs can be a little confusing.
So, to help make things a little clearer, we’ve listed some of the most common essential oils used in beard oils below along with a brief description of what it does.
- Argan Oil: This is the most commonly used essential oil for beard care and with good reason! Argan oil is super rich in Vitamin E which helps to feed both the skin and hair, and it also provides a coating for beard hair that helps to protect it from environmental damage such as UVA and pollution
- Jojoba Oil: This is another popular essential oil for beard care as it helps to remove natural sebum from collecting on the skin, which in turn stimulates hair growth and leads to a fuller looking beard. Jojoba oil also helps to reduce breakages
- Sweet Almond Oil: Brilliant at moisturizing both skin and beard hair, and reduces the chances of beard dandruff occurring. Is also very lightweight, so is able to moisturize deeply without being greasy or feeling heavy
- Avocado Oil: Contains Vitamins A, D and E to help battle dryness and prevent beard dandruff. Also promotes collagen production in the skin which in turn helps facial hair grow healthily and results in a fuller looking beard
- Pumpkin Seed Oil: Feeds existing beard hair and helps to strengthen it right down to the root whilst moisturizing it for a smoother, softer feel
- Aloe Vera Extract: Amazing at soothing and calming irritated skin and is ideal for applying after tidying up beard edges to prevent razor burn
- Lavender Oil: Helps to effectively treat acne or psoriasis on underlying skin, and is highly scented with a floral fragrance
You need to give some thought to the fragrance that you’d like your beard oil to have as well, and this is again where essential oils come into play. Some are delicately scented whilst others are a lot stronger and will stay with you all day long, and some also have floral scents whilst others are scents more associated with traditionally masculine notes.
Scents such as sage, cedarwood and sandalwood are among the most popular and this is due to their woodier notes. However, fragrances such as lavender are also popular as they provide a more masculine fragrance without relying on being woody.
There are also sets of beard oils available that give you the choice to switch between fragrances throughout the week, and this is a really good thing to look out for if you like to change scents depending on your mood.
Whatever scent you choose, make sure that your beard oil is fragranced using natural essential oils rather than man made scents as this can lead to skin irritation and can also cause damage to beard hair.
Like This Article? Pin it on Pinterest
The application of your oil is another thing to pay some attention to as it can ultimately determine how long your product will last. Most beard oils only need somewhere between 3-5 drops in order to provide complete coverage, but a bottle that isn’t designed to allow you to get such a small amount out could result in you losing product or using too much.
The best type of application to look out for is a bottle that includes a dropper or a pipette as this will allow you to suck some of the oil up inside it, and then drip out only as much as you need either directly onto your beard or onto your hands.
There are some beard oils that also have a special interior cap that release one drop of oil at a time, and these are also really good for controlling the amount of oil you’re using.
Finally, you need to think about how easily the oil is going to absorb into your beard and the underlying skin. This is especially important if you’re a busy person who’s constantly on the move, and doesn’t have the time to work product into their skin until it’s fully absorbed.
Essential oils such as sweet almond oil are really good to look for in this case, as they are not only easy to absorb into the hair and skin but will also do so very quickly. Sweet almond oil is also really light, so once it has absorbed it won’t leave any greasy residue behind.
Best Essential Oils for Beards FAQ's
1. What is the best essential oil for beards?
There are a few really good essential oils for beard care, but the most effective are argan oil and jojoba oil. These help to moisturize and feed both beard hair and skin, and help to protect against environmental damage such as UVA and pollution. Jojoba oil is also able to stimulate hair growth which will result in a strong, healthy looking beard.
2. Does a hot beard oil treatment make a difference?
Heated beard oil helps with deep-conditioning the facial hair. Weekly application can magnify the moisturizing and conditioning benefits that are so valuable to the skin and hair. This applies even more so for all long beard lovers. In addition, hot beard oil treatments can help promote healthy hair growth.
3. Do I really need beard oil?
Beard oil is a really important part of beard maintenance as it will ensure that your beard is kept in good condition, that your facial hair is strong and healthy as it continues to grow and that the underlying skin is well hydrated and conditioned.