Your beard products should be tailored towards your hair type, and for many Black men, a well-suited beard oil is no easy feat to find.
Beard oil is used mainly as a moisturizing conditioner, but not only does it aim to soften your facial hair, but it also serves the skin beneath.
Because Black men are more likely to have thick, curly hair, and as a result, curved hair follicles, they’re also more prone to ingrown hairs and skin irritation.
Beard oil aims to soften coarse, unruly hairs but also strengthen the skin’s barrier so that it’s harder for the hair to grow inwards and puncture it.
In this article, we’ll be reviewing the best beard oils for Black men, as well as exploring some of the key ingredients to look out for.
But first, why use a beard oil? Here are the main benefits:
- Moisturizes dry hair and skin
- Promotes growth and boosts cell growth
- Can help improve density and thickness
- Adds shine and gives a soft feel
- Can tame unruly beards
- Protects against damage and free radicals
- Helps get rid of dandruff and flakey skin
- Reduces risk of ingrown hairs
Best Beard Oils For Black Men
OUR TOP PICK
This beard oil from Smooth Viking is best for facial hair that is in desperate need of softening and some TLC.
This oil is packed full of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin E, Avocado Oil, Argan Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and Olive Oil to nourish unruly beards and add shine; while Castor Oil promotes growth and boosts density.
This oil is ideal for hydrating dry, brittle hair and won’t irritate sensitive skin. The formula is easily absorbed and non-greasy, making it ideal for regular use.
It’ll also help reduce itchiness and ‘beardruff’ and will help soften and strengthen your beard from root to tip. It also has a beautiful, subtle fragrance, so your beard smells as good as it feels and looks!
- Packed full of nutrients and vitamins to nourish your beard
- Softens and tames dry, unruly beards
- Boosts growth and density
- Easily absorbed and non-greasy
- Helps reduce itchiness and beardruff
- Affordable price
- Contains castor oil - which some people may experience dizziness from. So avoid if this sounds like you.
This beard serum from ProNutrition contains a blend of Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3 and Red Clover extract that is rich in Biochanin A.
This rich serum promotes natural hair growth for a thick, full, and healthy beard.
Not only will it help with beard growth, but this 100% natural and organic product will nourish and hydrate your beard with essential nutrients such as vitamin c, iron, folate, and zinc.
It goes straight to the root of the issue to treat host problems that cause dryness, split ends, and beard itch.
This beard serum is gentle enough for daily use, and frequent use will transform the look of your facial hair: resulting in more volume, density, and shine, with hair that feels hydrated and moisturized.
- Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3 and Red Clover extract that is rich in Biochanin A
- Promotes beard growth for a thick, full beard
- Hydrate your beard with essential vitamins
- Treats dryness, split ends, dandruff, and beard itch
- Gentle enough for daily use
- 100% natural and organic
- Requires continued use in order to see visible results
This beard oil and balm set from Shea Moisture contains premium natural ingredients that help soften, condition, and tame unruly, dry facial hair.
The Maracuja-infused Shea Butter delivers maximum hydration to provide firmer, smoother hair.
Maracuja oil is abundant in essential fatty acids and brightening Vitamin C, to help repair and rejuvenate dull, lifeless facial hair.
It also promotes cell growth for strong, healthy facial hair that is shiny and smooth to touch.
This set contains certified natural ingredients like organic shea butter and a blend of essential oils to ensure safe use for all hair types and skin sensitivities.
They’re also free from sulfates, parabens and are cruelty-free.
- Soften and conditions dry, unruly facial hair
- The Maracuja-infused Shea Butter delivers maximum hydration
- essential fatty acids and brightening vitamin C to repair and rejuvenate
- Promotes healthy cell growth
- free from sulfates and parabens, and cruelty-free
- Labels disintegrate and rub off easily
This beard oil from Prophet moisturizes and treats split ends to eliminate dry skin, tangled hair, and ingrown hairs.
As well as rejuvenating your beard, it also works well on your hair and scalp and can be used to treat dry skin.
The free wooden comb is great for evenly distributing the beard oil and ensuring your facial hair is tamed and tangle-free.
This oil is versatile enough to suit a range of hair types and is non-greasy and absorbs quickly.
It contains ingredients such as Vitamin E Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Chamomile Oil, and Jojoba Oil to soften your beard and boost shine, ensuring healthy hair from root to tip.
The formula contains 100% natural ingredients and is fragrance-free, so it won’t irritate sensitive skin.
- Eliminates dry skin and flakes
- Tames and detangles
- Contains Vitamin E Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Chamomile Oil, and Jojoba Oil to soften and add shine
- 100% natural ingredients
- Free comb included
- Won’t boost growth
Best Beard Oils For Black Men Buying Guide
Ingredients will vary between brands, but if you have sensitive skin, the fewer the ingredients, the better, as this leaves less risk of reactions.
Keep an eye out for moisture-rich ingredients, in particular argan oil, shea butter, almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil.
These are great for dry, unruly beards. They’ll also boost shine and keep your facial hair looking super healthy.
Castor oil can be great for boosting growth and making your beard appear thicker and denser, while vitamin E is great for dryness and will nourish the skin.
It’s worth opting for all-natural ingredients, as these are likely to be kinder on your skin.
Look out for beard oils that are enriched with the following vitamins and minerals.
You should also include these in your diet for maximum impact:
- Zinc: Found in pumpkin, lentils, oysters, seeds, spinach, and beef, zinc boosts hair growth as it maintains high levels of testosterone in your body. This improves hair quality and can even reverse premature gray hair.
- Iron: Iron helps produce hemoglobin, which transports essential oxygen throughout your body. Iron will stimulate hair growth and repair damaged cells, too. Iron deficiency is known to triggers hair loss, so iron-rich foods are recommended for a full, healthy beard.
- Biotin: Without a good amount of biotin, you’re likely to suffer significant hair loss. It’s also essential for normal thyroid function, too.
- Vitamin C: This vitamin can protect your hair from the damages caused by free radicals, which can stunt hair growth and decrease the appearance and feel of your facial hair
- Vitamin E: Like vitamin C, vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects your cells and destroys harmful free radicals. It’s also great for boosting hair growth and encouraging new hair to grow.
- Protein: Protein boosts hair growth and ensures your beard is strong, shiny and healthy. If your diet lacks protein, this will reflect in your hair, and hair will look & feel brittle, dry and lackluster.
Applying Your Beard Oil
- Apply your beard oil immediately after showering. This means the pores will be open and the hair will be clean. Dry your beard slightly but ensure it’s still damp.
- Pour a few drops of oil into your palms and rub together. Apply the oil all over your beard. How often you use the oil will depend on how dry your hair is, and the climate you live in. Daily use is usually advised, but some people may benefit from using it twice a day if they live in dry conditions.
- A wooden comb can help you distribute the oil evenly. It also detangles hairs, grooms and tames the beard and can help prevent ingrown hairs.